Saturday, June 26, 2010

General Stanley McChrystal Quotes from "The Runaway General" Article



Copied from Rolling Stone Magazine Article titled, “The Runaway General


This article appears in in RS 1108/1109 from July 8-22, 2010, on newsstands Friday, June 25.


1) “How'd I get screwed into going to this dinner?" demands Gen. Stanley McChrystal.


2) "The dinner comes with the position, sir," says his chief of staff, Col. Charlie Flynn. McChrystal turns sharply in his chair. "Hey, Charlie," he asks, "does this come with the position?" McChrystal gives him the middle finger.


3) "I'd rather have my ass kicked by a roomful of people than go out to this dinner," McChrystal says. He pauses a beat. "Unfortunately," he adds, "no one in this room could do it."


4) McChrystal wonders aloud what Biden question he might get today, and how he should respond. "I never know what's going to pop out until I'm up there, that's the problem," he says.


5) "Are you asking about Vice President Biden?" McChrystal says with a laugh. "Who's that?"


6) "I found that time painful," McChrystal tells me in one of several lengthy interviews. "I was selling an unsellable position."


7) The biggest military operation of the year – a ferocious offensive that began in February to retake the southern town of Marja – continues to drag on, prompting McChrystal himself to refer to it as a "bleeding ulcer."


8) McChrystal steps away from the circle, observing his team. "All these men," he tells me. "I'd die for them. And they'd die for me."


9) At one point on his trip to Paris, McChrystal checks his BlackBerry. "Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke," he groans. "I don't even want to open it." He clicks on the message and reads the salutation out loud, then stuffs the BlackBerry back in his pocket, not bothering to conceal his annoyance.


10) McChrystal and his team were blindsided by the cable. "I like Karl, I've known him for years, but they'd never said anything like that to us before," says McChrystal, who adds that he felt "betrayed" by the leak. "Here's one that covers his flank for the history books. Now if we fail, they can say, 'I told you so.'?"


11) "If the circumstances of Corporal Tillman's death become public," he wrote, it could cause "public embarrassment" for the president.


12) "We've shot an amazing number of people," McChrystal recently conceded.


13) "insurgent math,"


14) "I'm saddened by the accusation that I don't care about soldiers, as it is something I suspect any soldier takes both personally and professionally – at least I do. But I know perceptions depend upon your perspective at the time, and I respect that every soldier's view is his own."


15) "I ask you what's going on in your world, and I think it's important for you all to understand the big picture as well," McChrystal begins. "How's the company doing? You guys feeling sorry for yourselves? Anybody? Anybody feel like you're losing?" McChrystal says.


16) "Strength is leading when you just don't want to lead," he tells the men. "You're leading by example. That's what we do. Particularly when it's really, really hard, and it hurts inside."


17) "We are knee-deep in the decisive year," he tells them. The Taliban, he insists, no longer has the initiative – "but I don't think we do, either."



18) "This is the philosophical part that works with think tanks," McChrystal tries to joke. "But it doesn't get the same reception from infantry companies."


19) "Winning hearts and minds in COIN is a coldblooded thing," McChrystal says, citing an oft-repeated maxim that you can't kill your way out of Afghanistan. "The Russians killed 1 million Afghans, and that didn't work."


20) "I agree with you," McChrystal says. "In this area, we've not made progress, probably. You have to show strength here, you have to use fire. What I'm telling you is, fire costs you. What do you want to do? You want to wipe the population out here and resettle it?"


21) "That's the way this game is," McChrystal says. "It's complex. I can't just decide: It's shirts and skins, and we'll kill all the shirts."


22) "There's no way I can make that easier," he tells them. "No way I can pretend it won't hurt. No way I can tell you not to feel that. . . . I will tell you, you're doing a great job. Don't let the frustration get to you."


23) "Even Afghans are confused by Afghanistan,"


24) "rising tide of security."


25) McChrystal dismissed the counterterrorism strategy being advocated by Vice President Joe Biden as "shortsighted," saying it would lead to a state of "Chaos-istan."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on this post. Note: Any comments that are hateful, laced with profanity or otherwise deemed inappropriate or unhelpful towards honest but respectful dialog will not be published.

Disclaimer

All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. The Brazen Head Press blog makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.


Fair Use Notice


This site contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.


The material is being made available in an effort to advance understanding of world affairs and is being offered for non-profit research and educational purposes only.


I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' (and fair dealing for Canadian and Commonwealth based copyrights) of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law (or the Fair Dealing clauses found in the Canadian Copyright Act and similar Commonwealth based law statutes).


If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.


This is a completely non-commercial site for private personal use. No fee is charged, and no money is made off of the operation of this site.

Search This Blog